Friday 3 June 2011

Family Forever Friday (3)


Family Forever Friday

One of the blogs I follow, E&K Family Book Review have is running a Meme and I have decided to take part.  It’s called “Forever Family Friday” and each week KW will post a question for us to answer that will hopefully tell everyone a little bit more about the bloggers taking part.

This week’s question is:
What was the book that sparked your love of reading? How old were you?

Well, when I was younger I sat through the various books being read at school and my parents read books to me hich were usually by Roald Dahl or Enid Blyton. It wasn't until I was around 13 that I started to pick up books to read myself without being forced. This occurred because I had some friends who told me some of the YA horror books were brilliant with particular mention of the Point Horror series. I basically decided to see if they were right. So I went around the local bookstore and saw a book in the YA section called "Monster" by Christopher Pike, the hugely un-original title was enough to make me pick it up. In the end I loved it and I went on to read loads of Christopher Pike books, before slowly expanding my reading list.

Anyway, I am sure most of you will also have a book that first got you into reading so feel free to share it.

4 comments:

  1. I have never tried a Christopher Pike book, but I am sure he is an author my boys will cling to as they get bigger :)

    I read a few books in Elementary and Junior High School, but even though I loved them- I didn't really think I liked reading until later. I'm glad you found that passion early! Its a great hobby, especially for youngsters!

    KW
    http://www.ekfamilybooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enid Blyton was one of the authors that I read as a child! I loved her Adventure series- The Castle of Adventure, The Island of Adventure, etc. with Dinah, Lucy-Ann, Phillip, Jack, and Kiki.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @kathy@bookskidslike.com It was the famous five books that my mother used to read to me and my sister. I keep meaning to read a couple of them now and see how they come across to an adult reading them.

    I also hope to read them to my children as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @KW
    I plan on letting my children read Christopher Pike when they are older. I just hope it grabs their attention like it did mine.

    Then again I hope the fact that both my wife and I love to read will rub off on them anyway.

    ReplyDelete